I do not naturally move well, in fact my natural posture and movement began causing me pain and issues from a young age.
When I was first introduced to yoga at 18 it helped enormously, but over the years without proper anatomical understanding I fell into bad yoga habits causing different pain. This eventually led me to study anatomy of movement with Gary Carter and Intelligent yoga with Pete Blackaby after my initial two yoga qualifications with BYS and Sivananda Yoga in 2006.
Once I started enquiring into the body’s bio-mechanics and neurological functions, I became committed to a continual learning, which in turn became a passion. Ten years on, after teaching up to 20 classes and clients almost every week and running week-long yoga holidays twice yearly I find that I still am learning every day.
The most fundamental points I have come to realise is that the body needs a balanced movement practice with a conscious awareness that creates a habit of embodiment, this in turn creates a sense of enormous wellbeing.
I have seen significant positive changes in my clients as they learn to move out of their habits that create their chronic pain, clear up their unexplained skin issues or eczema as they learn the art of relaxation, reduce anxiety and in general improve mood and body confidence.
This practice is for everyone and in its ideal a personal practice, one that I hope to teach well enough to empower each student to become their own motivated teacher. I am for each individual to feel they understand alignment, breath and the power of relaxation and meditation, tools they can fall back on whenever they need.
My certification history is below, but my continual training and anatomical inspiration comes from the brilliant and inspiring Gary Carter.
- Certified Yoga Teacher by the International Sivananda Organisation (Trained in India) (200hrs)
- British School of Yoga Hatha Teacher Training Diploma (200hrs)
- Natural Bodies Yoga Anatomy year course with Gary Carter 2007 (208 hrs and ongoing assisting over last 10 years)
- Intelligent Yoga monthly workshops with Pete Blackaby (approx 100 hours)
- Foundation & Level 1 Somatic Movement Training 2017
- Gary Ward’s Anatomy in Motion ‘Foot & Gait’ training 2017
- Facial and Common Injuries Dissection certificate x 2
- Subtle Yoga training course at The Yoga Junction
- Birthlight Perinatal Training (Pregnancy Yoga)
- Michele Odent’s Doula Training
- Meditation Retreats at various Buddhist Monasteries in Sri Lanka & UK
- Energy Channelling Training under Tracy Ash
- Reiki Qualification
- Fully Insured REPs Level 2 Yoga teacher
- First Aid Certificate & Child Protection Training
- Landmark Education training
- Acupressure Massage training and continued personal study of herbs and chinese medicine
- I am also heavily influenced by Scaravelli, Katy Bowman, Thomas Hanna’s Somatics and movenat.
Having had 2 girls I also have a keen understanding of pregnancy and post natal yoga and really enjoy helping women at this time in their lives.
Mindful movement has helped me so much in my life I love to pass on what I have studied over the last 12 years.